Iowa Central Community College
Iowa Central Community College was organized in 1966 with a broad mandate to offer a vast array of educational opportunities to the residents of its nine-county area. Iowa Central was built on the firm foundation of three area junior colleges which had been operating since the 1920s by the local public school systems.
They were Fort Dodge, organized in 1921; Webster City, 1926; and Eagle Grove, 1928. Iowa Central came into being as a result of the Area School Act passed by Iowa’s 61st General Assembly. The legislation authorized two or more county school systems to merge to form an area community college. Nine counties combined to create Iowa Central: Buena Vista, Calhoun, Greene, Hamilton, Humboldt, Pocahontas, Sac, Webster and Wright. The resulting Merged Area V has some 28,000 students in 31 public school districts. In 1971, a fourth center was added with the completion of a new building in Storm Lake. The Storm Lake Center originally was established to serve 12 public and private school systems in Buena Vista County as a secondary career education center. In the ensuing years, the Storm Lake Center has been expanded so that now it offers the full range of community college programs.
In 1975, Iowa Central joined with Buena Vista College in Storm Lake in a cooperative venture whereby students can earn a bachelor’s degree attending evening classes. The students’ first two years are completed at Iowa Central and the final two years at Buena Vista at the Fort Dodge Center.