Fort Dodge Area Symphony
In 1949, Paul Franklin, High School Orchestra Director, started the Fort Dodge String Orchestra with around 20 people. In 1958 the officers and members of this organization voted to expand into a full orchestra and changed the name to the Fort Dodge Symphony. In September of 1963 the members felt that there was a need to get a supporting organization in order to help this group grow and perform more frequently. Three Iowa State College music professors met with all those interested. As a result the Symphony Association made up of businesses, professionals and interested citizens came into existence. Doyle Andrews was elected president and James Stroud, ISU, became the conductor. This support group was in charge of the sale of season memberships, promotion of concerts, and the handling of business matters. In 1980 the title was slightly changed to Fort Dodge Area Symphony Orchestra. The orchestra has shared their talents with thirteen symphony conductors.
No non-profit organization can be successful without the efforts of many people.The Fort Dodge Area Symphony has been fortunate to have had dedicated workers who have freely given of their time to make the Symphony successful. The concerts are the end result of all the cooperation among the members of the orchestra, the conductor and the Board of Directors of the Association. The best “Thank You” that they can receive for their commitment and hard work is for members of the area to attend and enjoy the concerts.