Blanden Charitable Foundation
The Blanden Memorial Art Museum was founded in 1931, as the first permanent art facility in Iowa. Former Mayor of Fort Dodge, Charles Granger Blanden, generously funded the construction of the museum in memory of his wife, Elizabeth Mills Blanden.
The neoclassical building, which is on the national Register of Historic Places, is located in the interesting Oak Hill District of Fort Dodge.
Along with the beauty and historical significance of the museum, the Blanden maintains a high standard of exhibition quality and dynamic spirit of community outreach in the visual arts. The Blanden is dedicated to a mission of providing learning opportunities to engage the community and foster creativity.
The result is a compelling combination – a full, vital and inviting range of programs, classes, activities, and special events. The permanent collection includes works by internationally renowned artists, as well as regional artists, in a wide variety of mediums.